I am so excited to share this Hunger Games DIY with you. Because it’s Halloween season, I’m feeling all crafty! Of course, the one thing I’d choose to make it Katniss Everdeen‘s wedding dress from Catching Fire. Honestly, when she walked out with the dress, it was absolutely stunning. Something about how detailed, dainty, yet extravagant the wing details are with the elegant voluminous dress made me fall in love with it.
Obviously, on my budget, I won’t be able to make Katniss’s full dress length, but I decided to go shorter to make it more practical. Unfortunately I don’t have any events to wear this to, but you can def expect me to wear it the first chance I get! I’m so so happy with the results!
Some links in this post may contain affiliate links. With no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission from purchases. Thank you for supporting Eva Chung!
How I made Katniss’s Wedding Dress:
- Connect large sheets of parchment or wax paper on a flat surface
- Use hot glue to trace the shape of the wings. Make one for the front, and another for the back.
- Glue on some small toothpicks or stiff wire to keep the structure of the wings up
- Go over the wings and support x 3. Make sure the design is thick enough to hold on it’s own.
- Spray paint both sides of wings silver
The Base of the Dress
- Get a white dress with boning in the chest area for maximum support.
- Apply feathers to the breasts and torso
- I used a tutu from the dollar store. But to make one from scratch, cut strips of tool, and weave it onto a piece of ribbon or elastic.
- Glue feather to the top of tutu to blend in with the dress
Putting it All Together
- Glue gun wings to the dress. If the wings overlap the zipper, but cut the wings down the zipper seam, and move it over so it doesn’t overlap.
- Either sew tutu onto the dress or keep it separate so you can use it for other costumes
Now you’re done! You’ve got your own Katniss Everdeen inspired wedding dress!
Which Hunger Games movie or book was your favourite?
Looking for more DIY projects? Check these out:
- DIY Halloween Costume | Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro)
- DIY Halloween Costume | Mike Wazowski (Monsters University)
- Spiderman: Venom Symbiote Make Up Tutorial | Halloween
Follow me on Instagram @itsevachung for more updates!