When reading my requests, I got a request for a “monster“. I also had these really bad ass contacts that I wanted to use for something. SO when thinking of a monster, I automatically thinking of Venom, or the Symbiote. Whenever watching Spiderman either in comics, the animation, or movies, the Venom always fascinated me. I loves how dark and vicious it was. Not to mention, I think Spiderman looks a lot better in black than red, don’t you think?
This was actually one of my first times doing something this ‘theatrical’ in terms of make up or ‘special effects’. It was definitely a learning experience, but tons of fun. It makes me want to try more characters next time.
Things I Learned
- Eyeshadow does not layer well even if you use water
- Dollarstore paint sucks
- Patience is key
- Jello makes a good mixture for fake blood that doesn’t move or drip everywhere
- Liquid latex needs to be applied before applying the tissue
Making Venom’s Blood
I loved how the jello blood just dangled and looked gruesome. Here is the recipe for my improv blood:
- 1 packet of strawberry jello (or something red)
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of water
And then just boil it on a stove until the cornstarch is dissolved, then cool (obviously) before applying to your face.
Making the Teeth
The part that I’m most proud of for this video is the teeth. I’m so glad they came out as dramatic as it looked in my head. Definitely suits venom’s character. They were made out of fake nails that I purchased from Walmart and cut sharp with scissors. I them glued it on my face with eyelash glue. I’m also glad I got to use the big (and expensive) pack of fake nails I purchased for vampire teeth last year, haha!
Do you prefer Spiderman or Venom?
Looking for more DIY projects? Check these out:
- DIY Halloween Costume | Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro)
- DIY Halloween Costume | Mike Wazowski (Monsters University)
- DIY Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen’s Wedding Dress Costume | Halloween
Follow me on Instagram @itsevachung for more updates!